Job Interview Success Using Your Pick Up Skills, Part 2

"What I found so interesting in retrospect was that literally in all of these interactions/interviews, I just told them about my life in the past year: the necessity to take risks in life, and what I did to go after what I wanted. The same stories that I've been using as DHVs in PU at night were the exact same stories I told in both my job interviews, as well as my roommate interviews. I was as honest and genuine about where I was in my life and what I've been doing to follow my desires. Coincidence? I think not."
-Graphyte
In Part 1 of the Job Interview series, I gave an example of how William, our NYC based instructor, used his newly found confidence and pick-up skills in order to ace a job interview at the height of the economic recession. One little overlooked point about learning pick-up is that it's a process of overall self-improvement and not simply about "scoring chicks."

Emotional intelligence is a HIGHER predicator of success than simple education or even IQ. As the old saying goes, "It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know."

For example, psychologists did a study where they taped several job interviews. They then showed the tape, with the audio OFF, to an audience. With uncanny accuracy, the audience could predict who had the more SUCCESSFUL job interview just by looking at the body language and mannerisms of the applicant. And do you know what was the most telling mannerisms? It was how CONFIDENT the applicant looked into the interviewers eyes and the FIRM HANDSHAKE that he gave.

Judging by that alone, people could tell who would get the job and who wouldn't.

Simply having a good education or even a good job or being hardworking, doesn't mean you'll be as successful as the upper percentile who are wealthy and accomplished. Knowing how to understand people and talk to them is a LONG TERM INVESTMENT IN YOURSELF.

So here I give you one of our alumni who just moved to New York City and used his understanding of the holistic ABCs of Attraction to score not only the job, but also the apartment!

Read on (after the jump)!

Interview report (month of august)
by Graphyte

Interview Report (Time Period spanning the month of august) -

I just remember reading something like this written by William a long time ago, and due to some recent successes outside of PU, I felt compelled to write something about them - as they are all intricately related on a certain level that will be explained below.

A brief overview - I just recently moved to NYC in august as an attempt to challenge, motivate, and push myself in a way I have never been pushed before. Moving to a new city without a job, or a place to live, and knowing only a few people, was an enormous risk and was something I wouldn't have done if I hadn't taken my BC. Since my BC I realized I needed to take risks and go after what I want in life; accordingly I started doing just that in various aspects of my life.

These are roughly the things I did in order to work on my "pillars" since my bootcamp: I quit my job, I went to central america to volunteer for 4 months on a whim to consider studying medicine (and not knowing any spanish, to boot), I received my EMT certification when I got back, I moved to NYC. This all happened within a span of a year. Even today, I still can't believe all the crazy changes that I've been making in the "pillars" of my life.

Literally within two weeks of my arrival in NYC, I received 2 job interviews, as well as 2 job offers (the exact jobs that I wanted in terms of building my career) as well as 2 invitations to be roommates w/ some people after interviewing up w/ them. (one invitation was to live with a group of 3 girls, and the other with 1 girl/1 guy) I honestly could not have expected such a fast turnaround from just arriving to the city; I was totally expecting that it was going to take me at least 2+ months to find a job in the big apple, especially in this economy. What I found so interesting in retrospect was that literally in all of these interactions/interviews, I just told them about my life in the past year: the necessity to take risks in life, and what I did to go after what I wanted. The same stories that I've been using as DHVs in PU at night were the exact same stories I told in both my job interviews, as well as my roommate interviews. I was as honest and genuine about where I was in my life and what I've been doing to follow my desires. Coincidence? I think not. I came to the realization then, that after I really started working on my life, pursuing my dreams, and taking risks without settling, it has inherently made relating to people anywhere and everywhere just that much easier. It's not strictly subjected to just PU, but unequivocally everything else in my life. I think I actually am becoming closer to a being a "better asian man."

Anyways, that's really all I got. Thanks for reading guys.

-g.

PS - Here are some direct quotes from my job interviews that I remember, within the B phase:

Interviewer (really hot west indian chick): "So..... what would you say are your strengths?"
Me: "Well.....I would say being ridiculously good looking is an obvious one."
Interviewer: "LOL, oh okay, lemme write that down!"

(Later)
Interviewer:"So ...what would you say are your weaknesses?"
Me: "Hmmmm.... well, I'm afraid sometimes I am just TOO charming."
Interviewer:"LOL oh okay lemme write that down too!"

(She of course, knew I was kidding, and I did immediately tell her what I thought were my strengths/weaknesses. It was a situation where I had established a pretty good rapport/banter w/ her and by that time those questions came up I knew it was okay to pull something like that off. She absolutely loved it all.)

Interviewer: "How would you say you are with people?"
Me: "Well, I'd like to think I'm pretty charming."
Interviewer: "Ha, yeah I think you would be too."
(This was the point when I knew I had a really good chance of getting the position. Which I did get, a few days later. What made the interview all the sweeter was that I saw my competition before my interview as well as after, and I was pretty sure that both of the guys had more experience than I did - mostly because it is in a field where I have virtually no work experience in. However, I did feel very confident in my ability to be more personable than either of the two other interviewers, simply because of my accumulated social experience, and am more than convinced in retrospect that was what ultimately set me apart from the rest of the guys. I later learned on my first week of work that the clinic simply just stopped interviewing people after that day because they knew that I was the one they wanted, haha. That was definitely an ego boost)

With regards to my current roommates, the same scenario also applied. After I moved in, they later told me that I was 1 of 40 people who inquired about their vacancy in their apartment, I was 1 of 15 people that they interviewed, and I was definitely the last person that checked the apartment out. Apparently before I showed up they had already had set their minds about another guy that they wanted as their roommate, but apparently I was able to completely sway that decision once i arrived. booyah, bitches!

Labels: ,